Saturday, May 8, 2010

R&R (06/05/2010)

It's funny that you can crave the sight of someone for three weeks of a month because you aren't seeing them in the flesh at all. The only way you can see them is with scratchy video calls or with photos you've taken beforehand.

However, if you stay in each other's pockets all week, it only takes a couple of days and all of a sudden you cannot stand the sight of one another, as much in love as you are.

More like, we didn't exactly plan this break at all. I really should have organised a trip to Alice Springs but I guess I had a few other things to do. Not to mention I was pretty well stuffed and the idea of sitting at home doing nothing was too good to be true. I forgot that after three days of 12 hour sleeps that eventually I'm going to get over the issues of fatigue.

I was annoyed that the concrete things that had been planned were in the middle of the time we could have gone somewhere, anywhere, but couldn't due to not being back in time for the next concrete task.

Even funnier, this was me in Dale's position last year. Between the time of JLC and Talisman Sabre, all I wanted to do was spend time with him because of not being able to see one another for 2 months. He kept wanting to go out with the boys. I kept trying to spend time with him, he kept resenting the overbearing nature of my doing so.

Count forward 12 months' time. It is I who is coming back for time off between work. At some point, I will want to spend time with other friends. Even do something that doesn't constitute laying in Dale's arms or reading, such as house work.

Dale cracked it because I wasn't spending every waking moment with him. I cracked it back because I felt he was smothering me. Vicious cycle.

But I also know that when I do go back to site I'll be happy for the first couple of days and then after that I'll be over it and all I'll want to do is see him again.

Lessons learnt of spending time together.


08/08/2010

For the record, after I wrote this out, it only took a couple of hours for us to get over what we or I referred to as "cabin fever". The last two days or R&R were realy really good, cuddling up to Dale and just making the most of our last two days before my coming back to site. And I cried a few times today, so maybe I wasn't going to be happy for the first couple of days after all. Well, not like what I thought I was anyway. 20 days to go, well, 19 really now! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment