Monday, July 5, 2010

Life

Why is it that I am writing a blog on life itself? Because it throws sooooo many questions up in regards to it.

For instance, I gave up a job that was paying $100k including super to end up with no job and nothing for the immediate future. And you know what? That doesn't bother me.

That is not to say that I will become one of those dole bludgers that I absolutely hate because they eat up my taxpaying dollars, but instead, this is something that I have never done before, and a risk that I am glad that I have taken.

Now I can find the time to do all the things I wished I had the time for. How my friend Kat has the time to do things, I'm not sure. Cos I know that me, when I was working full time, either when I was in town I often had to stay back and finish work or start early, often being stuffed at the end of the day, or when I was working remote, in my R&R I didn't find I really had time to be able to do the things I wanted to do in my time off because 1, I couldn't just journey somewhere because of Dale and 2, I didn't know if I would have the energy anyway. We were able to do some things, but not really go exploring like I could do.

But ultimately, I am happy not grinding the wheels inside my head for a big corporate company that doesn't give a crap about my livelihood. I have come to realise that these big companies, whilst always knowing that they have no interest in their workers, I didn't realise just how stupid some of their ideas are until recently. And I have a very, very good understanding now why most supervisors can't stand engineers.

Well, the gloss of being an engineer wore off pretty much as soon as I first started working as one. There was no hands on work like promised, they said that there would be but I soon realised that once upon a time there might have been but all engineers are now are glorified data entry clerks, and given enough time, will not know anything more than one about engineering, due to a lack of being on site.

I know I could have been a fantastic engineer had I been one 30 years ago as opposed to now. Getting my hands dirty was really, the biggest thing that drove me to work in construction.

But I soon came to understand that I will never get to have that hands on experience that they say I will. Because unfortunately, that's what engineering consists of nowadays. So am I sad to leave the engineering world?

No. Because I will soon return to it, in time. You see, the risk I took in resigning from my role was one that was potentially going to take me to the army, as a surveyor. So I will be returning to engineering but in a different capacity. And a few people who have known what I want to do support my decision and say that it is actually a good choice.

But until I can prove that I filled out my medical form wrong and that I do not suffer from headaches, I will need to ensure that I have a form of income and that is where the casual job fits in.

Working casually in whatever capacity, probably retail, sounds fantastic, and no one ever thinks that working in retail is fantastic unless they have a real desire for it! But me, working maximum 30 hours a week and doing my own thing for the rest of it is sounding better and better each day. I can do volunteer work as well, something I would actually like to have a go at, for the RSPCA or the like, putting my time into something I have a lot of interest in, not something that brings me dollars. Riding for the Disabled was another venture I wondered about, once a week or whatever.

Whatever the role, I have the time now to do it. And this is something I have not had in the last 10 years or so. So I am very much looking forward to it, even if it wasn't what I was envisaging what was to happen a month ago when I put my resignation in.

Life happens when you are planning other things, or some such phrase, as William Shakespeare put it. He couldn't have put it better.

2 comments:

  1. Well Sam, I'm glad you're (kinda) doing what you want to do.

    I actually found myself wishing yesterday that there were more non-work hours in the day. There is so much I want to do!

    I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to link to this post and try and explain my thinking in my own blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried responding to this another time and didn't realise it didn't work. I don't mind! :-)

    ReplyDelete